Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Guana Hike 2

Holly bought a new day pack and she wanted to test it so we went on a day hike in Guana River State Park. We packed some lunch and I, of course, took some camera gear. I actually only took my T2i and Sigma 50-200mm.

Because Holly had her pack and Jake had his, I didn't need mine. I only used one lens anyway.

Jake's pack didn't last too long. It was warm for him and not sitting properly. Holly ended up just taking it in hers.

Our path awaited.

Once Jake took off his pack, he found some water to cool off. There were signs that the trails were flooded but this was the only flooding we found, at first, even though we were warned by other hikers... For this photo, I tried to get the tree branch leading into the subject.

A close up of Jake in the water cooling off.

So if you remember from my previous post, which took place the day before this hike, I had some trouble photographing a cardinal. This guy didn't give any problems. I really like the depth of this photo with the bright green out of focus leaves in the lower right, the bird in focus, and the bokeh behind.

We hiked for about two or three hours and stopped for lunch by the river. There were a bunch of little crabs and Holly picked some up.

There was a nice picnic table by the water so we setup our lunch.

We really enjoyed our lunch.

After lunch we started the hike back. There was this great section of moss blowing in the wind.

Another shot I enjoy. Similar to the cardinal with the depth although the bokeh isn't as good here.

I saw this one bright yellow leaf in a forest full of green and brown. It seemed like the sun was breaking through the canopy specifically to shine on this one leaf. I tried to capture it but either the sun shifted, or I just couldn't capture it. I tried but didn't achieve what I wanted. 

The trail got muddier little by little. We crossed larger and larger puddles. Eventually we came across this.. It was flooded as far as we could see. We couldn't cross without getting wet for a good while. We didn't want to risk it so we turned back and cut through. We probably added a mile to the hike having to turn back.

Oh, we also saw a deer but those things are quick. We were maybe fifty yards from it, at most. By the time I realized it was an animal, it was running. By the time I realized it was a deer, it was in the woods. By the time I tried to get my camera, it was gone.

Missed deer, flooded trail, long hike, perfect weather, lot's of fun. Check out the full Guana Hike 2 set on Flickr.


No comments:

Post a Comment