Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Headboard Build

I watch a lot of HGTV and DIY type shows. One of the items often made is a DIY headboard. I have always wanted to try it out so this weekend was the time. The design changed about 12 times throughout the process including after I made the first cut.

I tried to keep it simple so I got two 4ft x 2ft plywood boards. They were thin to keep the weight down because at first it was intended to be hung on the wall.

This was the original layout/design but once the cuts were made, I didn't like how low the side panels looked so I centered them vertically.

The panels were joined together using a combination of wood strips (originally intended for hanging before design changes) and metal brackets.

Once the panels were joined, the legs were added. Then the headboard was covered with 4 layers of batting and two leftover strips horizontally across the middle. The 3/8 in staples barely made it through all the layers.

Then the fabric to cover it all. I got a cheap fabric that looks like pants so it couldn't be stretched too much. Also, the corners didn't come out too well because it's the first time. But it can be re-upholstered fairly inexpensively.

This is my bed before

Final product

We decided not to use upholstery tacks because the batting ended up being so thick. They may get used sometime in the future or upon re-upholstering. The most important thing was to be comfortable to lean against while watching TV and it sure is. 

I got a lot of help from Holly and we got great input from her mom, Elin.


No comments:

Post a Comment